Jennifer Koh named “2016 Instrumentalist of the Year” by Musical America
Cedille Records extends our congratulations to Jennifer Koh who was jusy named “ 2016 Instrumentalist of the Year” by Musical America. Since 1960, the Musical America Awards have been “recognizing artistic excellence and achievement in the arts.” Past award winners include Leonard Bernstein, Itzhak Perlman, and Riccardo Muti. In its award announcement, Musical America praises Koh as an “all-time original” and a prolific artist:
In the last decade alone, [Koh] has commissioned and/or premiered nearly 40 works; produced and hosted the initial episodes of Off Stage On Record, a web series on life as a concert artist; taken her “Music Messenger” series into thousands of classrooms across the country; and launched two performance/recording series—Bach and Beyond and Two x Four—that juxtapose the music of J.S. Bach with 20th and 21st-century works.
A native of Glen Ellyn, Illinois, Koh received her pre-college musical training in greater Chicago. Her modern interpretations of classical music have made her an important representative of Chicago’s musical community, and we could not be prouder that she is a longstanding member of the Cedille family.
The annual Musical America Awards will be presented in a special ceremony at Carnegie Hall on Tuesday, December 8.
- Best of 2017!
- Take 5: Sean Connors (Third Coast Percussion)
- Behind the Scenes with Sound Engineer Bill Maylone
- Featured Playlist: Nathalie Joachim
- Take 5: Nathalie Joachim (Eighth Blackbird)
- Take 5: Camden Shaw (Dover Quartet)
- Musical Partnership Award: Merit School of Music
- Sneak Peek: Alla Zingarese
- Monthly Playlist feat. Anthony McGill
- Take 5: McGill/McHale Trio