Extracting Split Zipped Albums
If you purchased an album from Cedille Records, you may have noticed it isn't a single file but instead are multiple split zip files. Due to the large size of some of our albums, we decided to split the files up to make the download process much more reliable and secure. You no longer have to be concerned about downloading an album with over a gigabyte (1GB+) in one single sitting and risking the download to timeout and start all over again; you can now download your album in segments at your leisure.
Unfortunately, the standard unzipping application found on Windows and Mac platforms can't unzip the split files appropriately but there are free and reliable applications available to make this process a breeze. We've reviewed and used a couple of the most preferred applications and have included them below.
A couple things to know:
- Download all of the split files associated with your album BEFORE attempting to unzip your file
- Download each file one-at-a-time. Downloading multiple files at once could result in errors
- Unzip the first split zip and the rest will unzip into a single folder. This is the file that ends in .001 or simply .zip.
Using a Windows Computer
- Recommended Tool: 7-Zip Utility
- What is it?: A free open source software that is simple to use and you don't need to register or pay for 7-Zip
To unzip the your split zipped album with the 7-Zip Utility, you can right-click on the first file ".zip.001", select the 7-Zip menu, and then choose one of the "extract" options.
Using a Mac Computer
- Recommended Tool: The Unarchiver
- What is it?: A free software available from the App Store for Mac OSX computers as well iOS mobile devices
To unzip the your split zipped album with The Unarchiver, you can right-click on the first file ".zip.001", hover over "Open With" and select The Unarchiver and it will automatically begin unzipping your album.